We recommend using Google Chrome for SWITCH online meetings.
So far we had very few cases where Chrome didn't work. In all of those cases we recommended using Opera, which always worked for those users who couldn't get Chrome to work.
- Don't use Firefox. It reduces the quality for all participants.
- For Mac users: SWITCH online meetings doesn't work on Safari.
1. Select the little monitor icon in the lower left corner.
2. In the pop-up window, select the "Application Window" tab.
3. Select the Application you want to share (usually Powerpoint or PDF-Viewer)
4. Press Share
You can of course share your entire screen (the tab most left in step 2) but then you'll have to hide your Jitsi-meeting window. Otherwise you get an infinite video-loop.
And you can share just a tab from the browser your Jitsi-meeting runs in. For this pick the tab to the right.
You can define the level of quality of the video stream that is sent to you from the server. Best is to try out different levels to see which one works best.
Open 'more actions' menu
Press the three dots in the bottom right corner.
Manage video quality
Chose "Manage video quality" from the menu.
Pick the quality level
Reduce the quality level. You can chose from the following options:
- High definition - this is the best quality but uses the most resources.
- Standard definition - the video is still qood but not as good as in High definition
- Low definition - the full screen video is quite blurry
- Low bandwith - Audio only, no video is transmitted
This is normal behaviour. Only 3 to 4 participants video is shown at the same time to save bandwith and computer power as the more videos are in a conference the more resources are needed. And each video adds exponentially to the load.
So whenever someone speaks, that video is shown. And if that participant goes silent for a while his video will not be transmitted to the others anymore.
We configured a meeting that the audio and video of the 4th person entering the meeting is muted. This is done to prevent audio chaos and also safe ressources. The participant can still unmute her-/him-self.
The first person entering a meeting becomes host at the moment. So be early makes you host.
This behaviour will change if/when we have AAI put back in.
We recommend Google Chrome Browser, Safari is not supported.
You also need to enable camera, microphone and screen capture in your settings. Go to "System Preferences" -> "Security" -> "Privacy". Allow Google Chrome to access "Camera", "Microphone" and "Screen Capture".
Please use only letters, numbers, hyphen (-) or underscore ( _ ) in meeting names. Avoid spaces and special characters, they will cause the following error:
Good examples: /weekly_meeting /weekly-meeting or /WeeklyMeeting
don't use /Weekly Meeting (there is a space) /weekly*meeting (there is a special character)