The following new features and bug-fixes are available in this version:
1. Pending Shares
If you don't want to see a shared file or folder from another SWITCHdrive user any more, you just need to "unshare" it (in the web-client) or delete it (in the desktop client).
Now deleted shares will automatically get the state "Declined" (1) and are listed in the section "Shared with you" (2). These shares are called pending shares and are valid as long as the owner of the file or folder is sharing the content with you. At any time you can accept the share again (3) in order to synchronise it to your SWITCHdrive folder.
2. Custom Groups
SWITCHdrive users can now create own custom groups which are only visible to the members of the custom group. In order to create a new Custom Group, open the SWITCHdrive web client and go to your personal settings. Note the new section "Custom Groups" on the left (1) and click it. In the middle section, you can see an overview of all the custom groups that you own or that you are a member of (2). To create a new custom group enter a unique group name and click on the "Create group" button.
On the right you can display the details of a selected custom group. If you are the Group owner (4), you can add new members (3), change their roles or remove them. You can also leave the group as long as there is at least one group owner remaining. As a member of a custom group you can leave the group at any time.
Good to know:
- Only a group owner can add more members to a group. However, as a group owner, you can easily change the role of any group member and add more group owners to your custom group.
- All custom group names have to be unique, that means no two custom groups can share the same group name. Choose a significant group name that your group members can easily remember and recognize.
- You can share any file or folder to a custom group by just entering the group name (1). SWITCHdrive will try to autocomplete the custom group name and will show you a selection of names that fit the entered text.
- The names of the users who have received a shared file or folder via custom group are not listed in the share details any more, only the name of the custom group is displayed and name of the person who has sent you the share (2).
- When a new member is added to the custom group, all the existing shares of that custom group are also shared to the new member of the group! The same is true when you remove a member from a custom group: all existing shares will be updated and the removed member will be excluded from the shares of the group.
- Although the custom group details are only visible to you and to the group members, the custom group name may become visible to other users when they search for a specific SWITCHdrive user or group. Define the custom group names carefully if you want to hide the purpose of the custom group (e.g. avoid "Secret-Project-with-CompanyXYZ")
You can now add one or more comments on both files and folders, but they are only visible in the Web Client only. all SWITCHdrive users who have access to the file or folder can see the comments and can add new ones. You can use comments to give a short describtion about the content of a shared folder, or how to work with a shared document.
To add a comment, click the Comments tab (1) in the Details view, write a comment in the New Comment field (2), and click “Post” (3).The new comment will be added in the section below and is visible to others who use the Web Client.
If there is a new comment on a file or folder that you have not seen yet, a small speech ballon (4) is displayed behind the name of the file or folder. To edit or delete an existing comment hover the mouse over your comment (5) until a small pencil icon appears behind your name. By clicking on the pencil, the “Edit Comment” field will appear, pre-filled with the comment text. Change the text as necessary or click on the small trash bin icon on the right to delete your comment.
- You can only edit or delete the comments that you have created yourself.
- Comments are not visible to SWITCHdrive users working with the Desktop-Client.
SWITCHdrive users can now view a summary of all all the activities in their SWITCHdrive account, for example who shared, created, changed or deleted a file or who wrote some comments. To see this overview, go to the Web Client and click in the top left corner to show the drop down menu with the Files, Activity and Gallery icons.
Click on the activity icon (1) to display an overview of activities in your SWITCHdrive account up to 7 days in the past. Select a option on the left (2) to filter certain activities or click the top entry "All Activities" to see an overview of all activities. Depending on the amount of shares and the number of collaborators in your SWITCHdrive account the number of activities can become quite high, so you might want to show the activites of you favorites folders only, or show the activities of other persons in your account only.
In your personal settings, you can configure which activities should be recorded. Click on the General settings (1) and scroll down until you can see the Activity section (2). In the table select if you want to be notified by email or by an entry in the activity stream or by both when a change in your SWITCHdrive account occurred. Choose also if you want to receive emails about own actions (3) too and how often you want to receive such emails - hourly, daily or weekly (4).
The following bugs were fixed in this new version of SWITCHdrive:
the owner of a shared file or folder will correctly see all the names of the users (or the custom group name) who have received the share. This also includes the reshares created by other users.
- the display and download of pdfs is working fine again on mobile devices (the PDF.JS-Version inside SWITCHdrive was updted to version 1.9.426)
In order to achieve the best performance with the new SWITCHdrive version you need to update your SWITCHdrive desktop client to the latest version, see Downloads on the left. Please note that SWITCHdrive desktop clients smaller than V2.3.3 are not compatible with SWITCHdrive V10 and are therefore blocked from login to SWITCHdrive.
Find below the most important changes of version 10 of SWITCHdrive:
1. Redesign of personal settings
The personal settings of your SWITCHdrive account was redesigned. To open the personal settings, click on your name in the top right corner when you login to https//drive.switch.ch.
(1) Select the menu entry "Settings" of the pop up menu
(2) All your settings are now grouped in several sections. Note there is no File-Drop section any more. See below in topic #4 how to create public file drop folders in this new version.
(3) In order to download a SWITCHdrive client click one of these buttons to get to the download page of SWITCH
(4) The actual version of the SWITCHdrive server software is displayed at the very bottom of the "General" section
Known Limitiation in the personal settings:
- Although you can change the email address on your stettings page, it won't be stored permanently. When you login the next time, the name and email address from your SWITCH edu-ID account will be displayed again. We expect to update fix this in the next update 10.0.9
2.New Sharing dialog
The Sharing dialog was completely reworked and made more easy to use (see pictures below):
(1) The checkbox "Share link" was moved to an own section in the sharing dialog and is called "Public Links" to better indicate what the purpose of these links actually are.
(2) The checkbox "notify by email" was turned into a button, which disappears after you have clicked it (and an email was sent to the collaborator).
(3) A private link to the shared file or folder can be created by clicking the small sharing icon behind the folder name. Only people who have permission to access the file or folder can use it. This is an additional method to point yourself or your collaborators to a certain file or folder inside your shared folder and can be used as a permanent link that does not change, even if you rename the file or folder.
(4) When you share a folder, the option "delete" is not activated by default any more. If you want the collaborators to also delete any file or subfolder inside your shared folder, you have to explicitly activate this option. Note: any deleted content will still be moved to the folder "deleted files", so you as the owner and the person who has deleted the content could restore it up to 90 days after the delete action.
(5) The Collaborative tags are now disabled, as these tags were always visible to all users and therefore should not be used in a multi tenant system.
When using the Desktop client, you can also right click with your mouse on any folder or file in your switchdrive folder to display the following sharing dialog:
(1) in the pop up menu select the entry "SWITCHdrive" and then "Share..."
(2) in the users and Groups search box type the first and last name of the person you want to share data with. Do not enter email address here. Let switchdrive search the database for suitable matches and select the correct name.
(3) adjust the permissions of the shared data. By default, the delete option is not activated. If you want the users to also delete files or folders, you have to activate this option.
3. New dialog boxes for creating public links
You can now create more than one public link for a file or folder and optionally add a password or an expiring date to the links. Simply click on the button "Create public link" to open a new dialog box to create and specify the public link. All public links to a file or folder are now nicely listed in the sharing section where you can copy, edit, share and delete them independently (e.g. when you have created several public links with different Expiration dates).
In order to send a public link to somebody, click the first small icon behind the link to copy the link to your clipboard. Then open an email or another messaging software and paste the content from the clipboard into the email or message. This is more secure than before when you had to mark and copy the link (and maybe missing one or more characters which would turn the link invalid)
Or use the third smal icon to send the link via twitter, facebook, diaspora, google+ or your directly linked email software.
4. Annonymous File Drop Folder
When you create a public link to a folder, you can now choose to also create a so called "Annoymous File Drop Folder". Such a folder is very handy, because it allows multiple recipients of this public link to upload files without revealing the contents of the folder to others. Lecturers appreciate this feature because students can easily upload their files by just dragging their digital content on a drop section inside a browser window (it's however strongly recommended that only folders are uploaded which follow a certain naming convention, otherwise it could be difficult for lecturers to track down who actually has uploaded the digital content).
In order to create an annonymous file drop folder, open a browser and display the details of a folder. Locate the section "Public Links" can create a new public link for the folder. Select if users should only download&view, download&view&upload or just upload files. BTW: You can now also create more than one annonymous file drop folder and optionally select if they require a password and if the link should expire at a given date.
5. Hide thumbnails in selected folders
You can now hide the display of thumbnails in selected folders - to avoid time consuming thumbnail generation in subfolders which may contain a huge amount of images. To do this open the "Gallery" section by clicking on the SWITCHdrive button (1), then select Gallery (or click anytime on the small thumbnail icon in the top right corner).
Locate the new "+" button next to the sort buttons and click it. Select the menu option "Hide Album" (2).
BTW: You can also add more pictures to the album by selecting the Upload menu option.
When you click on the gallery icon again, the following message will be displayed:
In oder to show the thumbnails again, you have to delete or rename the hidden file ".nomedia" inside the selected folder. See topic 6 below how to display hidden files inside a folder.
(3) You can share the album or folder by clicking on the small sharing icon.
Known Limitation: At the moment, you can only create standard shares of a gallery folder. Creating a public share link from within the gallery (3) is not (yet) available. If you need to a create public share link from an album, do this from within the "Files" section.
6. Show hidden files
You can now show hidden files inside the switchdrive folder and subfolders. Hidden files often contain important content that could impact the way you can work with SWITCHdrive. Renaming or deleting them could help to continue to work with your shared files. In oder to show the hidden files, locate the Settings icon in the lower left corner (below the "Deleted Files") and click it. Activate the corresponding checkbox.
1. New Trashbin setting
Deleted files and folders will stay in your trashbin for exactly 90 days, independent of the quota you have already used. Deleted files will not be removed automatically any more when the free space is getting low. However, any file or folder which is older than 90 days will be permanently removed from the trashbin.
If you need to restore a file or folder, you have to do this within 90 days! To restore an item from your tashbin, open the folder "Deleted files" and locate the file or folder you want to restore. Click on the restore link to restore it. Note: You can also immediatly remove any file or folder from the trashbin by clicking on the three-dot-submenu and selecting "Delete".
2. Picture Gallery
The Foto Gallery is now working fine and will show all jpg, gif and png pictures with thumbnails. Please allow some time for SWITCHdrive to create the thumbnail images of all the pictures in your folders on SWITCHdrive. Therefore, when you select the picture gallery for the first time, you may experience some waiting time before you can open any subfolder. When you select the picture gallery later again, opening any subfolder will be much faster.
3. Integrated video player
mp4 and m4v video clips will now play in the integrated video player of the SWITCHdrive web client when you click on the file. You can still download the video files by pressing the three-dot-submenu and selecting "Download"
4. New side pane
Versioning and sharing are now displayed in a separate pane on the right side of your browser. This allows you to get a better overview of your shares that you have created and of the versions of a file.
To open the side pane on the right click behind the file- or foldername, or click on the small share icon or click on a share link.
a) the side pane on the right of the browser displays all the shared users
b) to see the versions of a file, open the side panel or click on the three-dot icon and select "Details". In the side pane click on the link "Versions". All the versions of the files are displayed in the side plane, with the newest version on top.