Costs for the virtual machines are billed on a pay-per-use basis. For the detailed prices, see https://www.switch.ch/engines. To determine the costs, the resource usage is measured for the items which have a cost:
- Virtual CPU
- Disk space (ephemeral storage / Volumes / Object storage / SSD storage)
- Public IPv4 addresses
- Software Licenses
In 2018, the costs are determined as follows:
- Running VMs: vCPU, RAM, IPv4 addresses and ephemeral storage (usually the 20 GB predefined by the flavor)
- Storage: volumes used on Ceph (as presented on the SWITCHengines user interface as Volumes) and object storage.
- If the VMs are stopped only the public IPv4 addresses are taken into account for the bill, the vCPU/RAM and ephemeral storage are not.
As of 1.4.2018: Microsoft software (in particular the operating system Microsoft Windows Server) are billed. The usage of the Windows Server Images is billed on a per virtual CPU core basis per time unit.
Designated contacts of the institutions have access to SWITCHengines usage reports on https://reporting.cloud.switch.ch.
The reports are provided in CSV format described in the following. The table has the following headers:
In the columns the following information is listed:
Tenant: OpenStack project name
Region: OpenStack region (Lausanne or Zurich)
ObjectType: Type of resource (Virtual Machine, Volume, Software, ...). SWITCHengines education VMs are identified by "Virtual Machine (education)"
ObjectID: Reference to identify the resoure
ObjectName: Name for the object provided by the user in case of VMs or volumes. In case of the IP address it's the IP address itself.
ObjectDescription: Further information about the resource such as:
- For VMs: the VM flavor used
- For storage: Amount of GB used
- For IPs: the internally used IP address (if available)
StartDate: Start of usage (in ISO8601 format). Either it's the date of the start of the billing period (beginning of the quarter: 1.1. / 1.4. / 1.7. / 1.10.) or the date the resource was created / started.
EndDate: End of usage (in ISO8601 format). Either it's the date of the end of the billing period (end of the quarter: 30.3. / 30.6. / 30.9. / 31.12.) or teh date the resource was stopped / deleted.
Price(CHF): Price for the period of the usage (start to end date) excl. VAT.
Last update: 29.03.2018